What is Equip?
Equip prepares and supports teachers who teach Christian Studies. It is practical, equipping teachers with theology, biblical literacy and pedagogy for planning, teaching and learning in Christian Studies. Equip is equivalent to six days and is facilitated by regional personnel.
Equip 1 Who is God? Purpose and curriculum in Christian Studies (3 days)
Equip 2 Who are we? Pedagogy of Christian Studies (3 days)
At the conclusion of Equip 1 and 2 an ePortfolio is submitted. An ePortfolio provides the opportunity for critical reflection on the Equip learning journey.
Equip has the clear intention of providing meaningful and rigorous professional development for
teachers of Christian Studies, as they seek to provide a safe and supportive context in which students
can reflect on their experiences of the world and on their own beliefs and spirituality. This is achieved
through the provision of intellectually challenging experiences that actively involve them in journeys of
inquiry and constructing their own meanings.
Equip is therefore designed to:
- develop understandings of both theology and pedagogy to enable teachers to begin/continue their
journey in teaching and learning in Christian Studies
- understand and develop competency in the use of the Lutheran Education Australia (LEA)
Christian Studies Curriculum Framework (CSCF)
- experience and reflect on inquiry-based strategies to plan and deliver relevant and meaningful
Christian Studies courses for students
- consider the characteristics and needs of learners, and their learning contexts, and how these
shape planning and teaching in Christian Studies
- prepare teachers to identify and meet the challenges that will face them in the classroom
- nurture and encourage teachers in their personal spiritual and theological journey
- incorporate opportunities to develop networks in order to learn, share and collaborate
Who is Equip for?
Equip recognises the varied knowledge, experiences and understandings of participants, and aims to
make connections and build upon these to enrich the individual and collective journey of participants.
While Equip may be appropriate and relevant for others, it is targeted to teachers currently teaching
Christian Studies in a Lutheran school or Early Childhood Service, who would have immediate
practical application of the course content.